Our 2019 Series is a two-part, multi-day experience that will be held in June and July.
The program requires registration in both parts of the program. Registration links below.
In Part One, participate in one or more Industry Experiences to help you connect the newest standards and lessons to real-world applications. You will gain an understanding of how engineering design principles are used every day by people in STEM fields. Learn about the skills and training students need to be successful in these high-demand careers, and find out about the available opportunities for your students.
Each Industry Experience will focus on a specific STEM industry and includes:
- A tutorial overview of the industry;
- A discussion about the products manufactured by this industry and why these products are important;
- A hands-on activity to learn about the basic technologies used in these industries;
- A tour of a modern company engaged in this STEM area; and
- Discussions with industry leaders about what is driving growth and how new, emerging technologies will impact their businesses.
Chose from the following Industry Experiences (Choose 1 or more)
- Optics: Monday June 24th, 9am-4pm at Optimax Systems Inc., Ontario, NY
- Coding and Control: Tuesday June 25th, 9am-4pm at Day Automation, Victor, NY
- Advanced Manufacturing: Monday, July 1st, 9am-4pm at MCC and a Local Machining Company, Rochester, NY
- Semiconductor and Nanofabrication: Wednesday, July 10th, 9am-4pm at ON Semiconductor, Rochester, NY
In Part Two, take part in a Practitioners’ Workshop to learn how to connect what you learned in your Industry Experience to your curriculum and learning environment. Hands-on sessions will be presented by STEM and Industry professionals in areas such as fostering STEM learning through play, science and engineering practices, different approaches to learning STEM, and phenomenon-based STEM education. The Practitioners' Workshop is a required part of the program. If you are not available to attend the Industry Experience(s) in Part One, limited spots to attend Part Two may be available. Please contact our coordinators about this option.
Location: Finger Lakes Community College - Victor Campus
Date: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 9am-4pm
Workshop tuition for educators is $50 for the Two-part Series and includes lunch each day. Participants may attend up to three additional Industry Experiences for $25 per additional Industry Experience. Scholarships are available to defray the cost of attendance if needed. Please contact Leah Hamilton at email@example.com or Carla Stough-Huffman firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to apply for a scholarship.
The tuition fee qualifies for BOCES aid, and qualified participants can receive NYSED CTLE credit.
Since this is a two-part series, please remember to register for both the Practitioners' Workshop and one (or more) industry tours).
There are only 12 spaces available for each Industry Experience. Please register early.
NEW FEATURE: To make registration easier, we now offer two avenues to register. Register directly through our program at Eventbrite (pay by credit card), or register through BOCES at mylearningplan.com.
|2019 Professional Learning Series Flyer||141.33 KB|